Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Devotionals for Women: 101 daily devotions to comfort, encourage, and inspire women

compiled by Susan Heim and Karen Talcott,
Chicken Soup for the Soul Publications, 2009

This is a little different from the traditional Chicken Soup style. As a collection of stories designed to "comfort, encourage, and inspire women," each devotional opens with a Bible verse, includes a story that connects with the verse, and concludes with a prayer. Several cartoon illustrations are scattered throughout the book as well.

While I initially found it difficult to wrap my head around the fact that this was a Chicken Soup book, and thought, "I could write this," as I continued reading, I found many of the stories quite touching. I can't say I'd read it as a daily devotional, but with only 101 stories, it clearly isn't intended to be read that way, despite the book's subtitle.

Convenient to pick up and read when you only have five minutes to spare.

No comments: