Sunday, January 4, 2009

Reading List 2009

I read quite a few books in 2008, as a quick perusal of this blog will attest. I even managed to read 8 out of 12 of the books I had on my "must read" list. This year, I will create a similar list, but with a plan. Each month, I will read one title from the set below before I read anything else. Come January next year, I'll be able to report 100% success instead of 75. Seventy-five is okay, but let's face it, 100 is better.

January - The Kneeling Christian (Anonymous) - since one of my goals this year is to pray more, I thought this little book, written before 1930, and considered a classic work on the subject, would be helpful. It is reputed to point the way toward communion with God and all the life-changing benefits that derive from it.

February - Losing It: And Gaining My Life Back One Pound at a Time (Valerie Bertinelli) - one of my physical goals for this year is to lose a few more pounds (last year I lost 6.8), and it's always nice to read about someone else who's been successful. I used to love the show One Day at a Time and could never figure out why Bertinelli married Eddie Van Halen, so I figure this will kill a few birds with one stone.

March - Captivating: Unveiling the Secrets of a Woman's Heart (John and Staci Eldredge) - in 2007 I read John Eldredge's Wild at Heart: Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul, and found it fascinating. I am sure that this companion book will be equally so.

April - Dewey: the Small-town Library Cat who Touched the World (Vicki Myron) - in this bad news world, I am always up for a feel-good story, especially one that involves libraries!

May - There is a God: How the world's most notorious atheist changed his mind (Antony Flew) - actually, I've never heard of him, but this sounds like a fascinating story. It's encouraging to hear that the same God who worked in the lives of people like Noah, Abraham, Peter and Paul, is still at work today. (This book is on order in my library, so if it hasn't arrived by May, there may be some adjusting of the reading schedule)

June - Here's the Story: Surviving Marcia Brady and finding my true voice (Maureen McCormick) - another celebrity biography that should prove very interesting for those of us who grew up watching The Brady Bunch.

July - The End of Religion: Encountering the Subversive Spirituality of Jesus (Bruxy Cavey) - my husband's sister and her husband have been attending Cavey's church for a little while now, and I'm curious to learn more about what makes this teacher tick.

August - Prisoner of Birth (Jeffrey Archer) - I've enjoyed most of the books this author has written, so look forward to reading this recent title.

September - Heaven is Real: Lessons on Earthly Joy from the man who spent 90 minutes in heaven (Don Piper) - I read 90 Minutes in Heaven: A True story of Life and Death, but it left me wanting more. I'm hoping this follow-up book will get more into the nitty gritty.

October - Who Switched Off My Brain? Controlling Toxic Thoughts and Emotions: You Can Learn to Control Your Thought Life (Caroline Leaf) - my son undergoes educational therapy, so my husband and I have been reading more books on the brain. This one was suggested by the founding therapist of the clinic K attends.

November - Grace is Enough: Our Madness to Miracles Story (Willie Aames and Maylo Upton-Aames) - yet another celebrity biography. Willie Aames played one of the children in the series Eight is Enough, and was a lead actor on Charles in Charge. This book tells the story of his addiction and recovery, and how he found Christ. He went on to create the Bibleman character, who is very popular with my son.

December - Kneeknock Rise (Natalie Babbitt) - I couldn't conclude the year without a mystery on my "must read" list, so here's a Newbery Honor Book written for children, by the author of one of my favourite children's books, Tuck Everlasting.

1 comment:

Kimber said...

Now this, my friend, is a neat idea. Good plan. Can't wait to hear the review on Marcia-marcia-marcia!