Monday, July 7, 2008

Crime Brulee

a Culinary Mystery with Recipes
by Nancy Fairbanks,
Wheeler, 2001

Carolyn Blue, food writer, is on assignment in New Orleans. Her husband and several of their friends are there as well for a meeting of the American Chemical Society - a great opportunity to mix business with pleasure. But when Carolyn's best friend, Julienne, disappears from the first dinner gathering after a nasty spat with her husband, Nils, Carolyn is the only one to suspect that something sinister has happened. When no one else (including the police) seems interested in actively looking for Julienne, Carolyn takes on the task herself.

Midway through our heroine's harrowing search, I was pretty sure I knew which of three possible culprits had committed the dirty deed, and the conclusion of the book confirmed my suspicions. Still, this was a good read, with enough twists and turns to keep the reader guessing. The reader also gets a vivid tour of New Orleans and a strong sense of its inhabitants.

Several of the mystery series I read have comical or humorous elements; I wouldn't include this series among them.

1 comment:

Kimber said...

Culinary mystery! Now that's a category I hadn't considered. Another one for my list. Thanks Susie Q!