Monday, February 14, 2011

Living With Purpose in a Worn-Out Body: Spiritual Encouragement for Older Adults

by Missy Buchanan,
Upper Room Books, 2008

A collection of devotionals for senior adults, I found each entry an unexpected delight. The author is lyrical and minimal in her prose and quickly gets to the heart of each subject. Examples of topics covered include sleep, clutter, friendship, reduced mobility, diet, etc.

I was a bit disappointed that there were only 41 devotionals, however. It's unfortunate the author couldn't have produced 365, one for each day of the year. It might have made for a large and too heavy book for the target audience, though, seeing as the entries are in large print and each one is allocated one or two pages. A suitable alternative, in my mind, would have been to provide 52 devotionals (one for each week of the year) or 31 (one for each day of a typical month).

Most suitable for the frail elderly, the majority of whom I would imagine to be 80 years old or better and accommodated in assisted living facilities.

This book was provided free of charge to me from the publisher, but my review was not in any way influenced by this fact.

No comments: