Friday, April 30, 2010

The World as I Remember it: through the eyes of a ragamuffin

by Rich Mullins,
Multnomah Publishers, 2004

I'm a big fan of the music and poetry of Rich Mullins, and had wanted to purchase this book for my home collection, so I was excited to find that my library had acquired a copy I could preview.

Now I'm thankful I've saved good money, as I discovered that this book isn't for me. A collection of essays Rich penned for a magazine called Release, the writing is of a style I find difficult to enjoy, though there were times he made me laugh, and I loved these quotes:
  • Those who worry are less able to enjoy things than those who hope.
  • The will of man will not ultimately prevail against the will of God.
  • Faith is not a denial of facts - it is a broadening of focus. It does not deny the hardness of guitar strings; it plucks them into a sweetness of sound.
  • When I was a kid in high school it used to be really popular to wear little buttons on your coat that said, Smile, God Loves You. And that would always hack me off, 'cause I go, you know what? God loves everybody. That doesn't make me special. It just means that God has no taste.

Well, I would beg to differ with the last statement. It's not that God has no taste, it's that He doesn't discriminate :)

Anyway, if you like Rich Mullins, you might enjoy this book. Just do yourself a favour and borrow it from the library before you decide to buy it.

No comments: