Saturday, October 25, 2008

Some Writers Deserve to Starve!

by Elaura Niles
Writer's Digest Books, 2005

Subtitled 31 Brutal Truths about the Publishing Industry, this book delivers just that - the brutal truths. As someone who's been shopping her work for the last few years (primarily children's picture books at this point), I know how difficult it is to break into the market. And even though "many of us won't make it" (Truth #31) and "sometimes the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow doesn't hold much gold" (Truth #10), I hope that the tips in this book will bring me closer to publication.

Samples of other truths: "a rose by any other name...doesn't sell" (#5), "many writers are working in the stone age" (#21), and "consults are not an Olympic sport". For more detail, seek out your own copy of this book.

I borrowed a copy from my local library, but if anybody's listening, this would make a great Christmas present!

No comments: